FIA announces decisions of the World Motor Sport Council regarding the situation in Ukraine
FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem today chaired an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) to address issues relating to the current situation in Ukraine.
In his opening address to the meeting, the FIA President said:As you know, the FIA watches the developments in Ukraine with sadness and shock and I hope for a quick and peaceful resolution of the current situation. We condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine and our hearts go out to all those who are suffering as a result of the events in Ukraine. I would like to point out that the FIA, together with our promoters, acted proactively on this issue last week and communicated accordingly on Formula 1, Formula 2, WTCR and the Intercontinental Drifting Cup. An updated version of the various FIA international calendars will be presented to the WMSC meeting in Bahrain for approval.”
In accordance with the recommendations of the International Olympic Committee, the members of the Council approved the following decisions to be implemented with immediate effect:
Competitions held on the territory of Russia and Belarus
- No international/zonal competitions will take place in Russia and Belarus, until further notice
- No flags/symbols or anthems of Russia/Belarus may be used in international/zonal competitions, until further notice
Drivers, competitors and officials
- No Russian/Belarusian national teams to participate in international/zonal competitions (e.g. FIA Motorsport Games), until further notice
- Russian/Belarusian drivers, individual competitors and officials will only participate in international/zonal competitions in their neutral capacity and under the “FIA flag”, subject to a specific commitment and respect for the principles of peace and political neutrality of the FIA, until further notice
- No Russian/Belarusian national symbols, colours, flags (uniform, equipment and car) shall be displayed or anthems shall be played at international/zonal competitions, until further notice
FIA Elected Officers/Commission Members
- Representatives of Russian/Belarusian FIA members temporarily step down from their roles and responsibilities as elected officers/commission members*
- No FIA grants will be awarded to Russian/Belarusian FIA members, until further notice*
- No existing FIA grants will be paid to Russian/Belarusian FIA members*
* Subject to approval by the World Council for Automobile Mobility and Tourism
FIA International Sporting Calendar
- On the proposal of the F1 commercial rights holder, cancellation of the 2022 Russian F1 Grand Prix due to force majeure.
The FIA President added: “I would like to thank the members of the Council for their swift action in deciding on these measures in the interest of sport and peace. We stand in solidarity with Leonid Kostyuchenko, President of the Automobile Federation of Ukraine (FAU) and the wider FIA family in the country. The steps taken today recognize the authority of the FAU in Ukraine and are also aligned with the recommendations recently made by the International Olympic Committee. We are in active discussion with our members while that we continue to offer them our compassion and support in these difficult times, and we sincerely hope for a peaceful resolution of their intolerable suffering.